yokoso hiroshima!

michigan > hiroshima

Thursday, December 16, 2010

so, you're applying for the JET program...pt1 application


I'm pretty sure that JET applicants in North America (and the UK, etc) have submitted their applications for the 2011-2012 year.
So, I know that this post is "late", but I did that for a variety of reasons...including me just being busy with work.

Let's get started.

Gathering the necessary materials for your application and writing an intriguing statement of purpose (SoP), is an incredibly nerve wracking process.
I don't so interviews for JET, but I have read over SoPs, and I think I have a bit of insight into how people are chosen. Since there is a wealth of information on the internet for JETs who are applying as ALTs, I'll be focusing on CIRs. But, I am sure that many of this applies to both groups.

Did the application instructions ask you to put your papers in a specific order?
Did you comply?
Showing that you can follow directions is one of the most basic things that the people at the D.C. Embassy are going to look for.
Next, were you able get letters of recommendation from people who you know are able to write strongly and positively about you? (Hopefully from people who can comment on your Japanese skills)
Finally, the most important, in my opinion, is your statement of purpose strong?

You are asked to answer a number of questions in a limited amount of space. Not only that, but you have to sell yourself as being a great candidate for the program. As most people should know, the SoP should be grammatically correct and written formally. Of the SoP letters I've seen posted online by JET hopefuls, the most common mistakes I find are:
- Rambling (use concise phrases and ideas to get your idea across)
- Too casual ("I really liked Japanese food"; "It was nice to talk to someone from another country"; etc)
The bolded words are ones that my elementary school teachers hated. Not only are they too casual for a formal SoP, but they also take up unnecessary space.
- Misspelled words (use spell check, yo!)
- Reads like a resume (you don't need to list all of your accomplishments, no one cares that you were the president of the student council in 4th grade)

Have you have experience abroad or helping foreign people in your area?
Cite a specific example, what you learned from it, and how it can *specifically* be applied to your job as a CIR.
What sparked your interest in Japan? Anime? Maybe you want to write that, but think about how many other hundreds of people are writing the same thing. Aside from anime/manga, what other things interested you in Japan?
I will go out on a limb and say that past girlfriends/boyfriends of Japanese descent shouldn't me mentioned either, unless you can skillfully connect it to a learning experience relevant to CIRs.

As a CIR, what would you like to accomplish (everyone wants to be a bridge between Japan and the US, what else do you want to accomplish?)
Some CIRs work with local foreigners, so, while you want to learn about Japanese culture, you also want to be able to help foreigners in your area.
Lastly, as I mentioned above, use the SoP to speak about what you will do/want to do as a CIR. Speak as if you have already been offered the job.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home